November 29, 2011

Motivation

For a few months, I've been looking for an alternative to my disorganized paper/local storage based method of laboratory note-taking. I've experimented with Stefan Ritt's open-source ELOG hosted on my home computer or a lab computer. I decided against it because I didn't have confidence in my home Comcast connection and didn't want to have to VPN every time I wanted to access the site on a lab computer. I tried applying my feeble programming skills to creating my own using Microsoft's Lightswitch suite but wasn't good enough.

My introduction to Evernote was a result of someone telling me about the Livescribe Echo smartpen which seemed (and is) awesome. Livescribe was (and still is) offering a free year of Evernote premium with a smartpen purchase. I looked into Evernote a bit and decided to give it a try. I bought an Echo 8GB and began my Evernote experiment.

That was a couple of months ago. I have since gained momentum with this new note-taking platform and am liking it a lot. I have discovered a number of things that might be obvious to most but were not to me. I figured I always appreciate when someone shares what they've figured out with me so I would create a blog to share what I'm learning with you. I hope it will prove useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment